Latest: Mason Greenwood arrest will not distract Man Utd players – Rangnick Insist
The Red Devils are prepared to face Middlesbrough in the fourth round of the FA Cup, but the forward will not be available until further notice.
The arrest of Mason Greenwood has not detracted from Manchester United’s preparations for their FA Cup tie against Middlesbrough, according to Ralf Rangnick.
After police were made aware of claims made by a lady on social media, the 20-year-old was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault on Sunday, and then again on Tuesday on suspicion of threats to kill and sexual assault.
He was released on bail pending further investigation on Wednesday, and Manchester United emphasized that he will not be participating in any training sessions or games for the foreseeable future.
What’s been said so far?
Rangnick spoke to the media for the first time since Greenwood’s arrest ahead of their FA Cup fourth-round clash against Middlesbrough, and while he didn’t go into depth about the situation, he did say that it had had no impact on their training plans.
“We had a solid routine week of training with five training sessions including today’s training,” the German manager added.
“Obviously, it was a matter of discussion among the team, but they’re all human people, and Mason was a member of the group prior to our break.
“It was a good week of training; we were able to exercise under regular conditions, and we are looking forward to tomorrow’s game.”
What has Manchester United said?
The club reiterated their stance on Friday that Greenwood would not be playing any part in training or games until further notice.
Their most recent statement reads: “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”
What is the latest from the police?
The latest statement from Greater Manchester Police was released on Wednesday: “A 20-year-old man arrested (on Sunday 30 January 2022) on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.”